CONTENTdm
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
CONTENTdm Collection
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Photograph of the front exterior of the Hotel Nevada (Las Vegas), circa 1910
Photograph of the front exterior of the Hotel Nevada (Las Vegas), circa 1910
TitlePhotograph of the front exterior of the Hotel Nevada (Las Vegas), circa 1910
DescriptionHotel Nevada after the addition of a balcony. Transcribed from photo sleeve: "by Florence Lee Jones... March, 1969. Early Las Vegas History. The Hotel Nevada, at the Southeast corner of Main and Fremont Streets, is the oldest continuous hotel business in Las Vegas, although it has been known as Sal Sagev (Las Vegas spelled backward) since 1928. The hostelry started as a tent in 1905, but the late John Miller soon erected a permanent building, shown above, which provided the most luxurious accommodations and the best food in Las Vegas for many years. In the 1930's the Sal Sagev Hotel had one of the three elevators in town. A private dining room was a popular place for private parties for the elite of the town. The hotel is now owned and operated by Miller's son, Abe Miller, and his daughter, Mrs. Sherman E. Nugent. The Golden Gate Club now occupies much of the first floor of the building. On the North side of the building is a sign "Bank of Southern Nevada", which was the second bank established in Las Vegas. (The other was the First State Bank.) Started by John F. Miller, Ed Von Tobel, Sr., Will Beckley, Attorney Frank Stevens, and Hal D. Buzick, the Bank of Southern Nevada was an important factor in Southern Nevada's economy. During the 1930's and the Depression, the federal government issued restrictive orders on bank operations. The reaction of the independent Las Vegans was 'No guy in Washington is going to tell us how to run our bank.'... So they paid off all the depositors and closed the bank. The Rhoads & Rhoads General Machine Works (extreme right) was one of the first automobile agencies in town - the start of Community Chevrolet."
SourceImage ID: 0204:0048
Original CollectionJacob E. Von Tobel Collection
Original Date1908; 1909; 1910; 1911; 1912
Site Name (standardized)Hotel Nevada
Site Street Address1 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, NV
Type of Site (AAT)hotels (public accommodations)
Graphic Elements (TGM)Balconies
Buildings
Automobiles
Banks
Electric signs
Hotels
Streets
DC TypeStill Image
Genre (TGM)Pictures
Photographs
Photographic prints
Languageeng
RightsThis material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission from the University Libraries. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact
Digital CollectionDreaming the Skyline: Resort Architecture and the New Urban Space
Digital IDsky000231
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^