From the Digital Collections Blog...
Mark your calendars for the first broadcast of the documentary African Americans: The Las Vegas Experience, Monday, February 20, 09:00 pm on Vegas PBS Channel 10.
If a photograph can take a moment and fill it with truth, this photo taken by my UNLV Special Collections colleague, captures the soul of Jerry Countess. Entitled "Missing Rachel," our colleague Aaron Mayes works his magic to artistically capture Jerry remembering his wife.
“If you cook with love, they’ll love your cooking.” ~ Muriel Stevens is quoted as saying in her obituary this week. This mantra infused much of Muriel’s career as a television chef and newspaper columnist. I can only imagine having a chance to dine with her or cook together.
What happens when you ask a group of high school students to let you watch as they look at your website? You watch to see if they are interested enough to explore the vast amount of information that you have saved to the site. You wonder if their curious nature will inspire them to dig deeper into the site. Or will they jump to their Twitter or Instagram pages?
When we learned that a mysterious storage unit holding a substantial chunk of Jewish Federation’s history had been located, our archivists were elated. Finally we would be able to fill in gaps of the Federation’s history with meeting minutes, photos and event documents. In addition, our ultimate goal to have a complete run of the Jewish Reporter may be attainable.
This blog has been a bit quiet while I was away for the past month. With August we begin our third year of preserving the history of Jews who migrated to Southern Nevada. I came back to a desk piled high with mail, transcripts and other materials. All that is now filed away and I am excited to focus on collecting additional oral histories these coming months.
Here are a few random but important items I’d like to mention:
As the project evolves fun discoveries come to light. Recently we added a 1977 oral history of Mike and Sallie Gordon. As a young couple the Gordons arrived in the dusty desert in January 1932. Soon they were active members in a new and blossoming Jewish community and thriving members of a growing city that would become Las Vegas. Explore the site and read the words of other founders of Las Vegas. A great story awaits you.
- Photograph of Morris Shenker and others, circa 1950s:
- I don't believe that this photo is from the 1950s. For 1 thing Mr Shenker would have considerably younger at that time. His hair style is not correct for the...
- Photograph of the Chuck Wagon Buffet at the El Rancho Vegas (Las Vegas), late 1940s:
- jxspuiu http://www.semioticamente.it/nike-sb-janoski-vendita-online http://www.biotoxen.it/865-cappello-miami-dolphins.php http://www.lldlm.fr/479-asics-gel-lyte-5-noir-homme.html http://www.bagage-de-bonnesante.fr/nike-roshe-run-homme-bleu http://www.io-riciclo.it/336-nike-air-force-low-flyknit Adidas Superstar Blanche Femme 37 Nike Free Run Womens Shoes Air Max 90 Prezzo Basso Nike Free Run Mens Red Nike Air Jordan 6
- Photograph of Frank Sinatra and his daughter, Nancy Sinatra, Las Vegas, September 1960:
- tzjpvrg http://www.terrazasdemadera.es/ http://www.mantenimientodejardines.com.es/ http://www.gimnasticadetorrelavega.es/ http://www.casafuentesdeinvierno.es/ http://www.chinavibratoryhammer.es/ priligy generico kamagra sin receta levitra sin receta ï»¿viagra femenina cialis precio
- Photograph of dinner party guests at the Thunderbird Hotel, Las Vegas, circa 1950s-1960s:
- Thank you for your interest in our digital collections. If you would like to donate your item, please contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Proposal for the Sahara Boardwalk Hotel and Casino, Atlantic City, documents supporting petition for New Jersey Gaming License, 1980:
- Thank you for your interest in our digital collections. Try using the down arrow button and then choose a location to save the item. If you are still having...
- Masconomo House dinner menu, Sunday, September 12, 1880:
- Thank you for your interest in our digital collections. If you would like help getting copies of images, you may download from: http://d.library.unlv.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/menus/id/1007/rec/1 or contact us via email: email@example.com