A black and white photo of Al Freeman, unspecified, and three others at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. The man second fr
Al Freeman was instrumental in building the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada into one of the most renowned resort hotels of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. He served as the the promotion director for the Sands Hotel from the time it opened in 1957 until his death in 1972.
Freeman graduated from Temple University with a Bachelor’s degree in marketing and journalism. He served for three years in the Army and received numerous of accolades for his service including: five Battle Stars, Legion of Merit for his service in combat, the Purple Heart and three clusters.
Freeman began his advertising career in Philadelphia, where he was born, as a case writer and reporter for the Philadelphia Inquirer, but quickly left and started his own advertising agency. He also served as promotion chairman of the greater Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce Promotion Committee from 1958 to 1964.
Freeman was generous and charitable for organizations across the Las Vegas Valley. He helped to raise money for the expansion of Rose De Lima Catholic Hospital, helped to build Bishop Gorman High School, and helped with the building of Temple Beth Sholom. Freeman also was involved with the Boys Club, was the director of Pop Warner League Conference, a member of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Post Commander of the Jewish War Veterans.
View Related Items
“Sands publicist Al Freem rites set” Las Vegas Review Journal. 30 Aug 1972. 2. Print.