Parry Thomas and Jerome "Jerry" Mack were instrumental in establishing Nevada Southern University, now UNLV. The sports arena was dedicated in their names in 1983.
Several Las Vegans were in attendance at the White House for the signing of the Egypt-Israel Treaty.
Moe Sedway becomes the first leader of the cause in Las Vegas, helping to raise $40,000, which was "the highest per capita contribution made by Jewish people anywhere in the United States" (Las Vegas Review-Journal, 1/27/1952). Nationally, the UJA merged with other philanthropic organizations and became the Jewish Federation of North America in 1999.
A campaign began in the early 1980s to raise funds to build a new campus for the growing Reform congregation, moving from Maryland Avenue to Emerson Avenue. Contributions from the likes of Frank Sinatra helped fund the new building.
Originally located on Maryland Avenue, then on Emerson Avenue, the Reform congregation recognized the movement of the Jewish population toward Henderson and Green Valley, and acquired property through the generosity of the Greenspun family to build a campus on Valley Verde Drive.
In 1990, membership at Temple Beth Sholom had dropped due to the population moving outside of downtown Las Vegas toward the west and southeast. Temple Beth Sholom broke ground on a new campus in 1998, and the congregation moved into its new home on August 7, 2000.