The Nevada Test Site Oral History Project research was conducted from September 2003 through July 2007 in UNLV’s College of Liberal Arts with funding from U.S. Depts. of Energy (award no. DEFG52-03NV99203) and Education (award no. P116Z040093).
The research design was reviewed by UNLV's Institutional Review Board and followed the Evaluation Guidelines of the Oral History Association. All project participants received Informed Consent and Deed of Gift forms which gave them the opportunity to outline the parameters of their involvement, limit access to their interviews and withdraw from the project at any time. Participants were advised that they were free to decline answering any questions having to do with classified information.
For the academic year 2007-2008, the University Libraries and the Department of History partnered in support of work on final interviews and the creation of the digital collection by University Libraries staff. Interview transcripts are available on this website except in cases where interviewees have requested that they not be posted online or that they be temporarily sealed.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in these recordings and transcripts are those of project participants - oral history interviewees and/or oral history interviewers - and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of Energy or the U.S. Department of Education.
Key UNLV personnel include:
- Mary Palevsky, Project Director
- Robert Futrell, Principal Investigator, Sociology
- Andrew Kirk, Principal Investigator, History
- Patricia Iannuzzi, Dean of University Libraries
- Peter Michel, Director of Special Collections
- Jason Vaughan, Director of Library Technologies
- Su Kim Chung, Manuscripts Librarian
- Cory Lampert, Digitization Projects Librarian
- Leisl Carr Childers, Assistant Research Director, History
- Shannon Applegate, Graduate Assistant, History
- Suzanne Becker, Graduate Assistant, Sociology
- Alex Dolski, Web & Digitization Application Developer
- Annie Sattler, Digitization Assistant
- Laurie Boetcher, Transcriber
For additional information about the content contained in the Nevada Test Site Oral History Project, including reproductions, permissions, and access to related collections, contact . For questions about this digital collection and the digitization project methods, please contact . For information about CONTENTdm® customization and application development contact . General comments, corrections, and feedback are always welcome.
All official Nevada Test Site photos courtesy of NNSA/NSO.