Aerial photograph of Las Vegas looking northeast, circa 1931

Metadata

Title
Aerial photograph of Las Vegas looking northeast, circa 1931
Description
Aerial view of Las Vegas looking northeast
Transcribed Notes
Transcribed from photo sleeve: "Aerial view of Las Vegas, 1931. Center foreground are the Union Pacific R.R. Co. shops with two tall standpipes. Las Vegas High School, gym, and adjoining Butcher Memorial Football Field are at the right of center."
Additional Information
Information provided by Special Collections: "Early Las Vegas History, about 1931, by Florence Lee Jones - March 1969: This aerial view of Las Vegas was taken in about 1931, at the start of the Boulder Dam construction period. The new Las Vegas High School had been opened the year before (note the cluster of buildings at Seventh Street and Bridger Avenue, right of center, with the high school, gymnasium and adjoining Butcher Memorial Football Field (Las Vegas High). In the center foreground are the Union Pacific Railroad Company shops, with two tall stand-pipes. To the right of the shops stood the 'Round House', which was used to turn around the locomotives and put them into stalls for repairs. In the right foreground were the stockyards of the railroad, located just north of the present West Charleston Boulevard underpass. At the stockyards cattle, sheep, pigs, and horses were unloaded from the cars and placed in pens for feeding and for rest from long rail travel. The stockyards remained in use until after World War II, when the late George Ashby, then President of the Union Pacific, initiated the use of Diesel engines on the trains. This shortened the travel time and eliminated the need for the stockyards. The 'atmosphere' at that part of town was then greatly improved. The Railroad Company has a subsidiary, the Las Vegas Land and Water Company, which from the beginning of the town was managed by the late Walter Bracken. The land owned by the Railroad Company was sold through this agency; and the water mains, wells and distribution system were company property. The mains extended only to Fifth Street (now called Las Vegas Blvd.) and most of the trees and foliage ended there, as the picture shows. Private water companies supplied other subdivisions. The turn in Fremont Avenue, going toward Sunrise Mountain, now is the intersection with East Charleston Boulevard."
Identified Groups
Accession Number
0204:0052
Original Collection
Formatted Date
1929; 1930; 1931; 1932; 1933
Alternative Date
Circa 1931
Local Geographic Feature
City or Town (Getty TGN)
County (Getty TGN)
State (Getty TGN)
Country (Getty TGN)
Graphic Elemens (TGM)
Subject (FAST Topical & Geographic Headings)
DC Type
Genre (TGM)
Language
Is Part of
http://digital.library.unlv.edu/u?/dig,2
Rights
This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission from the University Libraries. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact
Format
image/tiff
Measurements
10.09 x 8.15 inches
Digital Publisher
University of Nevada, Las Vegas University Libraries
Digital Collection
Conversion Specifications
Original material scanned on Epson Expression 10000XL using Epson Scan Ver. 2.94A
Digital ID
hln000268
Access ID
346

Cite this Item

When linking to this object, please use the following URL:

http://digital.library.unlv.edu/u?/hln,345

Tags

Comments

Subscribe to recent comments

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!

Comment on this object