Transcript of interview with Johnny Griffin by Claytee D. White, September 13, 2010
- Digital ID
- Transcript of interview with Johnny Griffin by Claytee D. White, September 13, 2010
- Material Set
- White, Claytee D.
- Interview transcript with Johnny Griffin by Claytee D. White, September 13, 2010. Griffin grew up in Mississippi where he held a job as a golf caddy. He earned a golf scholarship to Jackson State University, and moved to Las Vegas in 1982. He became involved in Municipal Golf Course and the Tiger Woods Foundation.
- As a young son of a black sharecropper family in the delta of Greenville, Mississippi, Johnny Griffin was thrilled that he could make more money as a golf caddy than farming. And, in spite of segregation, he managed to develop his personal golf skills and to become proficient enough to earn a scholarship to Jackson State University, a rarity in that time of the late 1960s. However, as often happens, life situations modified his road to that dream. In 1982 and in his early thirties, Johnny arrived in Las Vegas where his brother lived was living. In Las Vegas he found a new career path, as a dealer and casino floor supervisor. He also discovered a fresh place for his passion for the game of golf. He talks about how he developed friendships with local black golfers, participated in developing junior golf programs, and the value of First Tee and the Tiger Woods Foundation.
- Identified Individuals
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Neighborhood City / Town
- F850.N4 G65 2012
- Original Collection
- Original Date (interview)
- Subject (FAST)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission from the University Libraries. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Digital Collection
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!