Transcript from interview with Waldemar Jackson conducted by Claytee D. White, May 5, 2013
- Digital ID
- Transcript from interview with Waldemar Jackson conducted by Claytee D. White, May 5, 2013
- Material Set
- White, Claytee D.
- Transcript from interview with Waldemar Jackson by Claytee White on May 5, 2013. Jackson's family was one of the first black families in the West Las Vegas neighborhood Vegas Heights. Jackson joined the Air Force and traveled overseas, encountering racism. He returned to Las Vegas and his employment history includes construction, slot floor man at the Marina, aircraft fueler and baggage screener. He discusses his troubles with substance abuse since his mother's death in 1999.
- Waldemar Jackson was born on May 29, 1957 to Charcohe Ann Jackson and Lisele Wall Jackson. The Jacksons were one of the first black families in the West Las Vegas neighborhood, Vegas Heights. Waldemar grew up facing some racial tensions and prejudices, but has always held to the belief that hate accomplishes nothing. Waldemar attended school through the tenth grade before dropping out to obtain his Graduate Equivalency Diploma. He entered the Air Force in 1973 as an aerospace ground equipment repairman. He was stationed at the George Air Force Base in Victorville, California, but had the opportunity to go overseas in temporary duty stations. Waldemar travelled to Germany, Italy, Greece, and England. In 1975, Waldemar came back to Las Vegas and began searching for work. He worked as a gardener for the Sanitation District. He then found a job with James Wood Construction building prefab (modular) homes. When that company went under, Waldemar was hired as a slot floor man for the Marina Hotel. The Marina closed after the Culinary Union strike, and Waldemar began working for airlines, first as an aircraft fueler and later in baggage screening. Waldemar suffered the loss of his mother in 1999. In the aftermath, he turned to drugs and alcohol to cope with her passing and candidly shares these struggles in this interview.
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Identified Neighborhood
- Neighborhood City / Town
- F850.N4 J32 2012
- Original Collection
- Original Date (interview)
- Subject (FAST)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission from the University Libraries. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Digital Collection
- Master Extent
- 455,999 bytes
- Master File Format
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!