Transcript of interview with Dell Ray Rhodes, 2010
- Digital ID
- Transcript of interview with Dell Ray Rhodes, 2010
- Material Set
- White, Claytee D.;
- Dell Ray came to Las Vegas at three. Speaks about 1960s and 1970s schools and 6th Grade Plan.
- In the later 1930s, Dell Ray Rhodes’ grandmother and step-grandfather found better work opportunities Boulder City, Nevada, where the construction of Hoover Dam promised jobs. So they moved from Louisiana, leaving most their family behind. However, when the grandmother fell ill in 1950, Dell Ray’s mother wanted to nurse her and made what was to be a temporary visit to Las Vegas. As often happens, she remained and this is how three-year-old Dell Ray came to live in the Las Vegas area. Decades later, Dell Ray sat for this interview and recalled when her mother worked housekeeping in a list of Las Vegas’ early hotels. The family resided on the Westside where she attended Westside Elementary School, Madison Elementary School, Jim Bridger Middle School, and graduated from Rancho High School. Dell Ray tells of marrying young and working a variety of jobs between the births of her seven children. Among her jobs was being one of the first blacks to work in UNLV’s Registrar office and her final career was at the U.S. Post Office where she worked for about eight years until her retirement in 1995. During this interview, she discusses the early 1970s when civil rights was an uneasy topic in Las Vegas and school integration and the sixth grade plan were making waves.
- Identified Neighborhood
- Neighborhood City / Town
- F850 N4 R46 2012
- Original Collection
- Alternative Date
- Interview conducted by Claytee D. White on April 1, 2010.
- Subject (FAST)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Specific Genre (LCSH)
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction; but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact.
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Digital Collection
- Master Extent
- ? x ? pixels; 8.50 x 11.00 inches; 2,555,785 bytes; 54 images
- Master File Format
- Master File Quality
- 24 bit color; 600 ppi
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!