Transcript of Interview with Marzette Lewis, 2012
- Digital ID
- Transcript of Interview with Marzette Lewis, 2012
- Material Set
- White, Claytee D.;
- Marzette Lewis is an outspoken community activist, especially in the area of local education. She is the founder of the WAAK-UP group. The interview took place over two sessions, session 1 was recorded October 30, 2012 and session 2 was recorded November 14, 2012.
- Marzette Lewis’s name is synonymous with Las Vegas community activism. Beginning in the 1970s and continuing to the time of this interview, Marzette has been an outspoken leader with the ultimate goal to provide equal and quality education for the children of Las Vegas, especially those under-served, poorer neighborhoods. This two-part interview begins with the murder of Marzette’s father at the hands of the Ku Klux Klan in Quitman, Mississippi. She talks about her visits and eventual move to Las Vegas in the 1950s. In 1964, she became the first black seamstress at Desert Inn Casino and an executive housekeeper. As a young mother, she also became involved in the education of her school-aged son. She details the subsequent steps to assure him a quality education. She becomes a vocal proponent to end bussing of children from their neighborhood schools and starts WAAK-UP [Westside Action Alliance Corps Uplifting People] as a part of her mission to improve local education.
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Identified Neighborhood
- Neighborhood City / Town
- F850.N4 P38
- Original Collection
- Original Date (interview)
- 2012-10-30; 2012-11-14
- Alternative Date
- 2-session interview: Oct. 10 and November 14, 2012
- Subject (FAST)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Specific Genre (LCSH)
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction; but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact.
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Digital Collection
- Master Extent
- ? x ? pixels; 8.50 x 11.00 inches; 2,297,850 bytes; 151 images
- Master File Format
- Master File Quality
- 24 bit color; 600 ppi
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!