Transcript of an Interview with James Jones, Jr. by Barbara Tabach, February 28, 2013
- Digital ID
- Transcript of an Interview with James Jones, Jr. by Barbara Tabach, February 28, 2013
- Material Set
- Tabach, Barbara
- James worked for over 30 years at the Test Site before becoming a funeral director at Thomas & Jones Funeral Home. Raised family on Westside.
- In June 1959, James Jones looked forward to moving to Las Vegas, away from farming in Waverly, Louisiana. His first job was at Gilbert's Grocery Store on D Street. Within a couple of years, he secured a position in the mailroom for REECO (Reynolds Electrical and Engineering Company) at the Nevada Test Site. He would work there for over three decades. Among his memories is a four-hour job at the Blue Onion as well as singing with the choir gathered the day Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke in Las Vegas in 1964. Over the years he made many friends, among them was Sonny Thomas who aspired to run a funeral home. Today they run the Thomas and Jones Funeral Home. James and his wife, Elizabeth, raised their four children on the Westside.
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Identified Neighborhood
- F850 N4 J65 2012
- Original Collection
- Original Date (interview)
- Subject (FAST)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Specific Genre (LCSH)
- This material may be protected by copyright. Personal, including educational and academic, use of this material is without restriction; but acknowledgement of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, University Libraries is requested whether the use is oral, web or in print. Commercial use of any portion of this material requires permission. For further information please contact Digital Collections: http://digital.library.unlv.edu/contact. This document is an oral history. It is a spoken account of certain events and phenomena recorded at one particular moment and filtered through one individual's life experience, sensibility, and memory. As such, it should be considered a primary source rather than a final, verified, or complete narrative of the events it records.
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Master Extent
- 835,055 bytes
- Master File Format
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!