C.A. Earle Rinker letter to his family, April 23, 1907
MACMASTER & MACMASTER MINING STOCK BROKERS P.O. BOX 1063 GOLDFIELD, NEV. Lovelocks, Nev. Apr 23/07 Dear folks, Found letter #7/8 waiting here for me. I think you fellows have been having worse weather than I have. Too bad that the fruit is lost. Had a pretty cold camp the other night. We left Lovelocks and went out to a big strike that was made in the country that I told you we were going to. We got to the Mouth of the Canyon where we had to leave the wagon about noon. It is 70 mile from Lovelocks. We set up our tent and ate a light lunch. Avery and MacMaster were pretty tired and thought they would stay at camp the balance of the day. Everyone that had heard of the strike had made a Mad rush to get there first and get proepety near the strike. There were 25 men camped at the Mouth of the canyon when we got there. All had came that day. One fellow told us the strike was only about 2 1/2 mile up the canyon. It was about 2:00 oclock and Jack and I shed our coats and each took nothing but a small prospecting with us and thought we would climb up to the strike and get back down to camp by dark. Well the camp was only 6 mile back in the hills and it was all up hill work too. It is impossible to get a horse back to that camp. At places the canyon is very narrow. One place the water falls about 75 feet straight down and the canyon is only about 10 feet wide there. We had to climb straight up the rocks along by the side of the fall. The fellow that made the strike is named Carpenter.
- C.A. Earle Rinker letter to his family, April 23, 1907
- Original Date
- Main Subject (TGM)
- Source Collection
- Digital Format
- image/jp2; 321 MB
- Original Format
- Date Digital
- Conversion Specifications
- TIFF scanned at 400 dpi on Epson Expression 10000X using EPSON Scan Ver. 2.94A.
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
- Access Rights and Restrictions
- To purchase copies of images and/or for copyright information, contact University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries, Special Collections at: http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/
- Digital Collection
- Digital ID
- Letter to his parents. Continuation of his trip. They are in Lovelock. Made a stop to see a strike. Describes strike, waterfalls, scenery, mine prices, the camp, eating jack rabbits, hunting.
- DC Type
- Is Part Of
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!
Institute of Museum and Library Services