N. A. Williams letter to E. E. Calvin, October 24, 1922
PERSONAL. At Salt Lake - October 24, 1922. Mr. E. E. Calvin: With reference to your letter of October 17th , received at Salt Lake today, quoting Mr. Gray concerning the Packard and Lincoln automobiles purchased for the State police at Las Vegas: Nothing was said to me concerning the purchase of these cars, and as I understood, it the matter was handled by Messrs. Halstead and Comstock. I do know, however, that conditions at Las Yegas at that time were critical indeed and it is my opinion they were thoroughly justified in going to any reasonable extreme in complying with the request of Governor Boyle and his State Police Inspector, Mr. Rennier. After the Packard machine was purchased at the price I understand of approximately $2200.00 request was made for an additional car, it being the intention of the Governor to transport radicals over the State line and also use the car in connection with State police work between Las Vegas and Carson City. Am also of the opinion that all of the expense was fully warranted, as we would have been unable to operate trains without the assistance of the State police. Their presence in Las Vegas had the affect of preventing raids on shops and other acts of violence.
- N. A. Williams letter to E. E. Calvin, October 24, 1922
- Letter addresses the purchase of two vehicles for use by railroad employees in Las Vegas to deal with radicals during the strike.
- 97 19--File 10-2
- Original Collection
- Original Date
- Subject (TGM)
- City or Town
- Collection Subject (TGM)
- Transportation; People
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Is Part Of
- To purchase copies of images and/or for copyright information, contact University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries, Special Collections at: http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
- Digital Collection
- Conversion Specifications
- TIFF scanned at 300 dpi on Epson Expression 10000X using EPSON Scan Ver. 2.94A.
- Digital ID
- Compound Object
- Master File Creation Date
- Master File Format
- image/tiff; 49.4 MB
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!
Institute of Museum and Library Services