J. Ross Clark letter to Walter J. K. Bracken, August 9, 1904
Aug. 9, 1904.
Dr. J. K. W. Bracken, Las Vegas, Nev.
Dear Sir: I have your letter of the 1st inst in reply to mine of the 18th ult relative to labor on the ranch, and note carefully what you say in regard to same.Your pay roll passed our office a day or two ago, and I note that you still have Walter Bracken on the roll, simply changed his title from foreman to clerk at the same wages; and also the gardner whose title you have changed to orchardist. It is absolutely essential that these items of expense be cut out immediately, as matters can be run on the ranch very easily without the aid of a clerk and you can use the ranch hands to do all the work necessary in the orchards by simply putting them to work and advising them how to proceed. I wish that you would write me immediately upon receipt of this letter that the employment of these two men has been discontinued.In regard to the matter of carpenter. There is no work onthe ranch that will need the services of a carpenter. Any little oddjobs that will have to be done can be attended to by some of the ranchhands. One vacquero is all that is necessary. Now that the track is so near to the ranch there is no need of the services of a teamster. Your pay roll for July showed a total expenditure of somethingover $600.00. I wish to see this amount very materially decreased on roll for the month of August.
Very truly yours, (Signed) J. ROSS CLARK
- J. Ross Clark letter to Walter J. K. Bracken, August 9, 1904
- Letter discusses the conditions at the Las Vegas Ranch in regards to employees. Clark directs Bracken to consolidate and abolish some positions.
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Original Collection
- Original Date
- Subject (TGM)
- City or Town
- Collection Subject (TGM)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Is Part Of
- To purchase copies of images and/or for copyright information, contact University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries, Special Collections at: http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
- Digital Collection
- Conversion Specifications
- TIFF scanned at 300 dpi on Epson Expression 10000XL using EPSON Scan Ver. 2.94A.
- Digital ID
- Master File Creation Date
- Master File Format
Cite this Item:
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
Institute of Museum and Library Services