C. A. Earle Rinker letter to his mother, August 12, 1907
M.J. MONNETTE, PRESIDENT R.J. SHOEMAKER, SECRETARY THOS. H. CONDON, VICE-PRESIDENT LINCOLN DAVIS, TREASURER MOHAWK LEDGE MINING COMPANY GOLDFIELD, NEVADA P.O. BOX 334 Aug 12/07 Dear Mother Rec'd your letter No 13 of the 7th this morning. I also got the package and a bunch of papers Now before I answer your letter I must tell you about how I spent yesterday (Sunday) evening. Jeff & I went to a prize fight and a wrestling match. We had 5.00 each seats. Jeff stood for the seats. The prize fights were rather tame. two white men fought first and then two coons had a fight. The white men seemed to be afraid of hurting each other but when the coons went at it they went at it right. They fought pretty fierce for a while and then one of them hit the other just a little above the belt. The poor coon went to the floor and laid there until they counted time on hom and then he kept on laying. He had made his last fight. Then the Battle Royal came on. They put four coons in the ring and last gets the money. The pitch in on each other and fight to beat the devil. Sometimes three of them will pitch on to one and one of the three will see a good chance to hand a good lick to one of the others and let him have it. They just simply beat each other around until one man is left in the ring. Its a little hard on the coons but they are all anxious for the money. It would be hard to fully understand the Battle Royal until you seen it.
- C. A. Earle Rinker letter to his mother, August 12, 1907
- Letter to his mother. It described a prize fight and wrestling match that he watched . Also, goes on to describe how he went down into a mine shaft, includes several small drawings of the shafts.
- Identified Corporate Bodies
- Original Collection
- Original Date
- Subject (TGM)
- Local Subject
- City or Town
- Collection Subject (TGM)
- DC Type
- Genre (TGM)
- Is Part Of
- To purchase copies of images and/or for copyright information, contact University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries, Special Collections at: http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/
- Digital Publisher
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
- Digital Collection
- Conversion Specifications
- TIFF scanned at 400 dpi on Epson Expression 10000X using EPSON Scan Ver. 2.94A.
- Digital ID
- Compound Object
- Master File Creation Date
- Master File Format
- image/tiff; 217 MB
Cite this Item
When linking to this object, please use the following URL:
CommentsSubscribe to recent comments
There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment below!
Institute of Museum and Library Services