Max Goot (1908-1979) was a business owner and philanthropist in Las Vegas, Nevada. After serving in the U.S. Army, Goot moved from New York City to Las Vegas in 1945. He owned several businesses, including Stoney’s Jewelry Shop in downtown Las Vegas (1945-1951), Tinch Furniture Store on South Main Street (1951-1958), and Hollywood Furniture (1958-1965). Goot was involved in the Eldorado Club as an investor for about six months in 1951, before Benny Binion bought it and renamed it the Horseshoe Club. During the 1960s and 1970s, Goot worked in vending and public relations.
Goot was a member and "Man of the Year" of Temple Beth Sholom in Las Vegas. He helped the local Greek Church purchase Temple Beth Sholom's former building at 13th Street and Carson Avenue and also helped Monsignor Lamb establish a Catholic school on 13th Street. Goot was active in fundraising for several community organizations, including City of Hope, for which he raised $108,000 in 1957, by collaborating with Strip hotels.
Goot, Max. Interview, 1976 March 22. OH-00701. Transcript. Oral History Research Center, Special Collections, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.View Related Items View Oral History Listen to Audio Clip