The Southern Nevada Jewish Heritage portal provides access to primary source materials including oral history interview transcripts and audio clips, business records, and personal papers of members of the Jewish community.
This site provides a comprehensive, searchable, online collection of digitized materials in multiple formats. The digital collection is designed to help users browse topic areas and retrieve information of specific interest by entering search terms. All items in this collection have assigned keywords (metadata) to help facilitate discovery through common access points like name, date, business, geographic location, and subject. Each oral history interview has been transcribed and the full-text transcript is searchable. Transcripts can be downloaded as PDFs and printed or emailed for research purposes.
The digital collection features an Advanced Search for researchers wishing to combine several search parameters in complex queries. Research librarians at UNLV, as well as staff at local cultural heritage organizations, are always willing to assist with searches. For more information about the digital collection search features see the Digital Collections Help page.
A major component of this project was gathering first-person accounts of the Jewish experience in Las Vegas. Over 50 oral history interviews were conducted in the first phase of this project. Older interviews, collected as early as 1975, were digitized and transcribed, and are included here. Interviews with prominent members of the community offer an invaluable glimpse into the life of business people, politicians and entrepreneurs over several decades.
An oral history is a spoken account of certain events and phenomena recorded at one particular moment and filtered through one’s life experience, sensibility and memory. As such, it should be considered a primary source rather than a final, verified or complete narrative of the events it records. The Oral History Association [OHA] is the central professional organization for oral historians and maintains a website with Principles and Best Practices, and much more. Educators, please view the OHA Pamphlet Series’ Oral History Projects in Your Classroom.
MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS IN UNLV SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
Portions of collections have been digitized for this project and are viewable online. Collections can be viewed in their entirety in the Special Collections Reading Room, Lied Library, UNLV. For guidance using primary source materials, see Research & Services at UNLV Special Collections.
- Anti-Defamation League Nevada Region Office photographs and sign, 2000s. MS-00076
- Adele Baratz Papers, 1930s-2010. MS-00701.
- Burt and Wilma Bass Photographs and Programs, 1976-1987 and undated. MS-00716.
- Shelley Berkley Papers, 1999-2012. MS-00599.
- Eileen Brookman Papers, 1941-2002. MS-00620.
- Collection on the Las Vegas Jewish Community, 1964-2006. MS-00426.
- Renee Diamond Papers, 1972-2000. MS-00377.
- Flora Dungan Papers, 1929-1974. MS-00193.
- Dorothy Eisenberg Papers, early 1900s-2009. MS-00528.
- Mark L. Fine Papers, 1964-2014. MS-00696.
- Neil Galatz Scrapbooks, 1948-2009. MS-00723.
- Generations of the Shoah - Nevada Records, 2001-2015. MS-00720.
- Hyman Gold Papers, 1935-2004. MS-00496.
- Hank Greenspun Papers, 1962-1966. MS-00138.
- Nat Hart Professional Papers, 1945-2000. MS-00419.
- Senator Chic Hecht Papers, 1943-1989. MS-00003.
- Hank Henry Papers, 1934-1980. MS-00490.
- Sperling Kronberg Mack Holocaust Resource Center Records, 1965-2015. MS-00733.
- Holocaust Survivors Group of Southern Nevada Records, 1965-2015. MS-00741.
- Jewish Family Service Agency Records, 1954, 1977-2013. MS-00386.
- Jewish Federation of Las Vegas Records, 1978-2012. MS-00602.
- Edythe and Lloyd Katz Papers, 1934-2002. MS-00376.
- Miriam "Mimi" Katz Papers, 1940s-2015. MS-00721.
- Henry Kronberg Papers, 1945-2010s. MS-00718.
- Ron Lurie Papers, 1972-1990. MS-00326.
- Joyce Mack Papers, 1970s-2014. MS-00732.
- Michael S. Mack Papers, approximately 1940s-1950s and undated. MS-00736.
- Flora and Stuart Mason Photographs and Event Programs, 1965-2010. MS-00694.
- Minsky's Burlesque Collection, 1922-1978. MS-00290.
- Irwin and Susan Molasky Papers, early 1900s-2012. MS-00661.
- Nathan Adelson Hospice Records, 1978-1992. MS-00318.
- Barbara Raben Collection on the Las Vegas Jewish Community, 1976-2015. MS-00655.
- Dennis and Roberta Sabbath Papers, 1970s-1991. MS-00731.
- Jay Sarno Collection, 1965-2001. MS-00548.
- Henry and Anita Schuster Papers, 1941-2011. MS-00580.
- Arnold Shaw Papers,1927-2006. MS-00031.
- Southern Nevada Jewish Heritage Project Community Collection, 1950s-2016. MS-00790.
- Gary Sternberg Papers, 1983-2015. MS-00717.
- Maury Stevens Papers,1953-1981. MS-00268.
- Muriel Stevens Papers, 1969-1985. MS-00269.
- Taylor Construction Company Collection, 1954-1973. MS-00664.
- Temple Beth Sholom Records, 1948-2014. MS-00711.
- Si Zentner Collection of Music Scores, 1957-1996. MS-00487.
Green, Michael. "The Jews," in The Peoples of Las Vegas: One City, Many Faces. Eds. Jerry L. Simich and Thomas C. Wright. Reno: University of Nevada Press, 2005.
Green, Michael. "History of Las Vegas Jews links past and present," in The Jewish Reporter, March 22, 2002, p. 4-5.
Marschall, John P. Jews in Nevada: A History. Reno: University of Nevada Press, 2011
NEWSPAPERS & PERIODICALS
Las Vegas Israelite (Published since 1965)
The Jewish Reporter (Published by the Jewish Federation of Las Vegas, 1976-2009)