Nathan Adelson died of cancer in 1978, and within a year his family and associates decided to honor his legacy by establishing a hospice program and facility to "fill gaps in existing community services," providing dignity to end-of-life care.
Irwin Molasky, with partners Merv Adelson, Moe Dalitz and Allard Roen, builds Sunrise Hospital on Maryland Avenue.
With a loan from Nate Mack, Hank Greenspun purchases the publication and changes the name to the Las Vegas Sun. The first issue of the Las Vegas Sun was published on May 21, 1950.
With over 100 signatures of charter members, Jewish women in Las Vegas organize an official chapter of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America.
The members of the Jewish community begin fund-raising to build a new campus in 1955. Members performed East Lynne at the Silver Slipper with proceeds benefiting the building fund.
A successful fund-raising endeavor provided the money to construct the Las Vegas Jewish Community Center at 1229 Carson Street. The congregation would outgrow this facility less than a decade later.
Sallie and Mike Gordon were among the first Jewish residents of Las Vegas and capitalized on the building of Boulder Dam and legalized gambling, working at and owning several liquor stores in town. An essay written by Charles Salton recounts the very early years of the Jewish community and the Gordon's hosting Sunday school classes in their store and home.
The Northern Club on East Fremont Street was the first establishment in Las Vegas to receive a gaming license.