Showboat, Atlantic City opens
Showboat, Atlantic City
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Del Webb decided to take his trademark Sahara hotels to Atlantic City in 1980. His long-time architect, Martin Stern designed a Sahara Boardwalk Hotel as a modern streamlined, stylized showboat, which utilized a stepped tower with which he had experimented in his unrealized Las Vegas Xanadu project in 1976. When Webb’s Atlantic City project collapsed, Stern used the same design for Showboat Inc.’s new Boardwalk hotel which opened in1987. Harrah’s bought out its rival casino owner Showboat Inc. in 1998 and kept the Showboat name on this successful property, with an interior make-over in purple Mardi Gras, which had become Harrah’s national theme.
Special Collections Martin Stern, Jr. page
Location of Project
- Photograph of a rendering of the International Hotel (Las Vegas), circa 1968:
- This is a great image. Thanks
- Photograph of men playing faro in a Fremont Street casino (Las Vegas), circa 1930:
- I love this picture and the other one you have on the Faro Game. Please let me know How I...
- Film transparency of the swimming pool and patio of the Thunderbird Hotel (Las Vegas), circa 1950s:
- The 1950'S images are great! Do you have more like this and how can I order reproductions?